Blogger is a free and easy-to-use platform for creating and hosting blogs. However, like any other website, it is not immune to hacks and attacks from malicious actors who may want to steal your data, deface your site, or use it for spamming or phishing purposes. Therefore, it is important to take some measures to secure and back up your blogger site and prevent hacks and attacks in 2023. In this article, we will share some of the best practices and tips for securing and backing up your blogger site and preventing hacks and attacks, and how to implement them.
How to Secure Your Blogger Site
Securing your blogger site means protecting it from unauthorized access, modification, or deletion. Here are some of the steps you can take to secure your blogger site:
- Use a strong and unique password for your Google account and your blogger site. A strong password should be at least 12 characters long, and include a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. A unique password means that you should not use the same password for other accounts or sites. You can use a password manager tool to generate and store your passwords securely.
- Enable two-factor authentication for your Google account and your blogger site. Two-factor authentication is a security feature that requires you to enter a code or a confirmation from another device, in addition to your password, when you sign in to your account or site. This adds an extra layer of protection in case someone steals or guesses your password. You can enable two-factor authentication from your Google account settings, under the “Security” tab.
- Review and limit the access to your blogger site. You can invite other people to contribute to your blogger site, by giving them different roles and permissions, such as admin, author, or reader. However, you should only give access to people you trust, and only to the extent that they need. You should also review and revoke the access of any inactive or suspicious users, or users who no longer need to access your site. You can review and manage the access to your blogger site from the “Settings” section, under the “Basic” tab, and then click on the “Permissions” option.
- Update and secure your devices and browsers. You should always use the latest versions of your devices’ operating systems and browsers, as they may contain security patches and fixes for any vulnerabilities or bugs. You should also use antivirus and firewall software to protect your devices from malware and other threats. You should also avoid using public or unsecured Wi-Fi networks, or use a VPN (virtual private network) to encrypt your online traffic.
How to Back Up Your Blogger Site
Backing up your blogger site means creating a copy of your site’s content and design, and storing it in a safe and separate location. This way, you can restore your site in case of any loss, damage, or corruption. Here are some of the steps you can take to back up your blogger site:
- Back up your blog content. Your blog content includes your posts, pages, and comments. You can back up your blog content by exporting it as an XML file, and saving it to your computer or cloud storage. You can also import your blog content to another blog, if you want to migrate or duplicate your site. To back up your blog content, go to the “Settings” section, under the “Manage blog” option, and then click on the “Back up content” button. To import your blog content, go to the same section, and then click on the “Import content” button.
- Back up your blog theme. Your blog theme includes your layout, style, and coding of your site. You can back up your blog theme by downloading it as an XML file, and saving it to your computer or cloud storage. You can also upload your blog theme to another blog, if you want to migrate or duplicate your site. To back up your blog theme, go to the “Theme” section, and then click on the “Backup/Restore” button. To upload your blog theme, go to the same section, and then click on the “Choose file” button.