Artificial intelligence (AI) is not only transforming industries like business, healthcare, and education, but also the creative fields like graphic design and art. AI can help artists and designers explore new possibilities, generate original and realistic images, and enhance their productivity and efficiency. In this article, we will introduce some of the best AI tools and techniques for creating stunning graphic art, and provide some tips and examples to inspire your work.
What is AI graphic art?
AI graphic art is a form of art that is created or assisted by AI technologies, such as machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, and natural language processing. AI graphic art can be divided into two main categories: generative and assistive.
Generative AI graphic art is when AI produces images from scratch, based on some input or prompt. For example, an AI system can create a realistic portrait of a person that does not exist, or a surreal landscape that combines different elements. Generative AI graphic art often uses techniques such as generative adversarial networks (GANs), which are composed of two neural networks that compete with each other to generate realistic images.
Assistive AI graphic art is when AI helps artists and designers with some aspects of their creative process, such as finding inspiration, editing images, applying styles, or optimizing designs. For example, an AI system can suggest colors, fonts, or layouts for a logo, or apply the style of a famous painting to a photograph. Assistive AI graphic art often uses techniques such as neural style transfer, which extracts the style features from one image and applies them to another image.
What are the benefits of using AI for graphic art?
Using AI for graphic art can offer several benefits for artists and designers, such as:
- Enhancing creativity: AI can help artists and designers discover new ideas, styles, and combinations that they might not have thought of before. AI can also challenge them to experiment with different inputs, parameters, and outputs, and expand their creative horizons.
- Saving time and effort: AI can help artists and designers automate or simplify some tedious or repetitive tasks, such as sketching, coloring, cropping, resizing, or filtering images. AI can also help them optimize their designs for different platforms, formats, or audiences.
- Improving quality and realism: AI can help artists and designers create high-quality and realistic images that are indistinguishable from human-made ones. AI can also help them enhance the details, resolution, or aesthetics of their images.
What are some of the best AI tools for graphic art?
There are many AI tools available for creating or assisting graphic art. Here are some of the best ones that you can try:
- DALL·E 2: This is an AI system that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language1. You can type any text prompt and see what DALL·E 2 generates. You can also adjust the parameters such as resolution, diversity, or outpainting to modify the results.
- Designs.ai: This is a complete AI-assisted design toolkit that offers various tools for logo design2, video production, mockup creation, speech synthesis, and more2. You can use these tools to create professional-looking designs in minutes.
- Adobe Sensei: This is an AI helper that is integrated into Adobe’s suite of design tools2, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and more2. You can use Adobe Sensei to automate or enhance some features such as content-aware fill, face-aware liquify, auto-reframe, and more2.
- Fronty: This is an AI tool that can convert any website screenshot into a layered PSD file2. You can use Fronty to extract the design elements from any website and edit them in Photoshop or other tools.
- AutoDraw: This is an AI tool that can turn your doodles into professional drawings3. You can use AutoDraw to sketch your ideas quickly and easily.
- Khroma: This is an AI tool that can help you discover and generate color palettes4. You can use Khroma to find colors that match your preferences and style.
- Let’s Enhance: This is an AI tool that can help you upscale and improve the quality of your images5. You can use Let’s Enhance to increase the resolution, remove noise, sharpen details, or add effects to your images.
- Jasper.ai: This is an AI tool that can help you create stunning social media graphics6. You can use Jasper.ai to choose from hundreds of templates, customize them with your text and images, and download them in different sizes.
How to use AI for graphic art effectively?
Using AI for graphic art can be fun and rewarding, but it also requires some skills and strategies to get the best results. Here are some tips on how to use AI for graphic art effectively:
- Define your goal and audience: Before you start using AI for graphic art, you should have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and who you want to reach. This will help you choose the right AI tool and technique, and tailor your design accordingly.
- Experiment with different inputs and outputs: One of the advantages of using AI for graphic art is that you can explore different possibilities and variations. You can try different inputs, such as text prompts, images, or sketches, and see how the AI responds. You can also try different outputs, such as styles, formats, or resolutions, and see how they affect the quality and aesthetics of your design.
- Combine human and machine intelligence: AI can be a great collaborator, but it cannot replace human creativity and judgment. You should always use your own intuition, experience, and feedback to evaluate and refine your design. You should also respect the originality and ethics of your design, and avoid plagiarism or harm.
What are some examples of AI graphic art?
AI graphic art is a diverse and dynamic field that showcases the potential of human-machine collaboration. Here are some examples of AI graphic art that you can check out:
- Edmond de Belamy: This is a portrait of a fictional person that was created by a GAN algorithm7. It was the first AI painting to be auctioned at Christie’s in 20185.
- The Next Rembrandt: This is a portrait of a man that was created by an AI system that analyzed the style and features of Rembrandt’s paintings. It was unveiled in 2016 as a tribute to the Dutch master.
- Sunspring: This is a short sci-fi film that was written by an AI system that learned from hundreds of movie scripts. It was produced in 2016 as an experiment in AI storytelling.
- The Road: This is a song that was composed by an AI system that learned from thousands of Irish folk songs. It was released in 2017 as part of a project called Folk Songs Generated by Artificial Intelligence.
- Memories of Passersby I: This is an installation that consists of two screens that display portraits of imaginary people that are generated by a GAN algorithm. It was exhibited in 2019 as a work of perpetual change.
AI graphic art is an exciting and emerging field that offers new opportunities and challenges for artists and designers. By using AI tools and techniques, you can create stunning graphic art that showcases your creativity and imagination. You can also learn from AI and collaborate with it to enhance your skills and style. However, you should also be aware of the limitations and risks of using AI for graphic art, such as ethical, legal, or social issues. You should always use AI responsibly and respectfully, and acknowledge its role in your design process.